Dearest Cebu Lechon,
I wish you weren’t miles away beyond my reach! I dream of you and reminisce about our time together. It was love at first sight and my love for you grew with each bite. I can’t stop thinking of your crispy skin and tender, moist flesh made to perfection.
Salivating From Afar,
On a previous post, I shared the exquisite glory of lechon from Cebu, Philippines. (See “FoodMeOmaha Goes to the Philippines, Part 5: The Glory of Lechon”). Anthony Bourdain of No Reservations hailed Cebu lechon as the “best pig ever.” I can vouch it is that good.
On this post, I am sharing a closer look at Cebu lechon through videos I found online. The videos include the making of Cebu lechon, Anthony Bourdain’s visit to the Philippines, and Zubuchon, the restaurant serving the lechon made famous by Anthony Bourdain. Pay attention to the highly-regarded Filipino food blogger, Joel aka Marketman of Market Manilla.
I don’t understand everything they are saying but this is worth the watch for the visual. This video features the making of Marketman’s Cebu lechon and a clip of Anthony Bourdain’s visit.
- 0:17 – Warning: Squealing, dying pig shown and heard.
- 0:38 – Clip of Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations Philippines visit.
- 1:22 – Introduces food blogger and lechon expert, Joel, aka Marketman
- 1:42 – Marketman making the acclaimed Cebu lechon. The secret is acupuncture.
- 3:53 – Check out the gorgeous sound of the crispy skin!
Anthony Bourdain Goes to the Philippines:
This video features Anthony Bourdain’s visit to the Philippines on No Reservations. He is one of my celebrity crushes.
- 0:42 – I was there at the same dried fish market in Cebu on my Philippines trip.
- 0:51 – Introduces Joel, highly regarded food blogger of Filipino food ways.
- 2:24 – The lechon making begins!
- 3:40 – Lechon slowly being roasted. Anthony Bourdain is staring for a reason.
- 4:27 – Anthony Bourdain eats the lechon skin. Listen to the crunch!
- 6:31 – Ohhh… Pig and skin close up.
- 7:33 – Anthony Bourdain asks why Filipino food does not have a higher profile in the states. Good question. I wish we had a Filipino restaurant in Omaha.
- 9:19 – Anthony Bourdain: “I got the best pig ever.”
I am impressed with Marketman’s lechon expertise and his blog, Market Manilla. After Anthony Bourdain’s episode, additional media, and a frenzy of requests for the acupuncture style Cebu lechon, Zubuchon was born. Marketman and his crew started the restaurant Zubuchon featuring the Marketman’s Cebu lechon.
- 0:02 – I was there at Zubuchon on my Philippines trip.
- 0:31 – Look at that crispy skin.
- 0:39 – Acupuncture technique applied to the pig skin.
- 0:45 – Look at that crispy skin, again!
- 1:17 – Zubuchon’s lechon dish.
Cebu lechon + Anthony Bourdain + Market Manilla = Zubuchon.
I had the pleasure of visiting Zubuchon on my Philippines trip. Future post to come!